How to Edit Your Sites on Webspace
You have three options for editing your pages hosted on Webspace:
- Download the files, edit, then re-upload. Look for the icon.
- Using your Webspace Content Management System (CMS). Look for the icon.
- Using your Webspace Rich Text Editor (RTE). Look for the icon.
Before you begin using any of these options, you need to first access your Webspace storage. You can access your personal storage , or follow these instructions:
The screen will refresh and you will see a list of all the files you have stored in your Webspace folder. (Note: Any file you store in your Webspace folder is automatically published to the web.)
- Log in to your WebRing account, open your My Account page (if not already open), and scroll down to locate the "Webspace & CMS" tab.
- Click the "Webspace & CMS" tab to open your shoutbox storage page.
- Locate the "Switch to:" dropdown menu in the "Personal Storage and Webspace" section, select "Webspace" from the list of available folders in the dropdown menu, then click the "Go" button.
Now you're ready to edit in one of three ways...
Option #1 — Download/Edit/Upload
If working with raw HTML code intimidates you, we recommend downloading your page files then editing them in a site editing program. CoffeeCup offers a nice basic editor for free here. Once you have found a site editing program, you can edit your Webspace pages by following these instructions:
- Scroll through the list of files until you find the page you wish to edit. Web pages, of course, will be files that end with ".html" or something similar.
- Click on the file/page you wish to edit. Once you do, a download window should open and ask you where you want to save the file. After you get the file downloaded onto your computer...
- Open the file in your web editor, edit the file, and save it once you've finished.
- Return to your Webspace folder on your WebRing shoutbox and click the "Upload" icon . It's found next to folder icon and "Switch to:" menu.
- Upload the file you just edited following the instructions in the upload screen that will open. As soon as you upload the file AND if it has the same name as the file already in your Webspace folder, the new file will automatically override the original file.
Option #2 — Content Management System
If you prefer to work with raw HTML or if it doesn't intimidate you, we recommend using the Content Management System (CMS). The CMS is the most efficient way to directly edit your Webspace pages without having to download them to your computer.
Here's how to use the CMS option to edit your pages:
To exit the file/page editor, either click the "Cancel" button or the "X" at the top right of the screen.
- Click the folder icon found next to the "Switch to:" dropdown menu. This opens your CMS screen, which will list all your files.
- Locate and click the box next to the file/page you wish to edit to select the file.
- Click the "edit" link found in the top-running menu. The file will open in a new window on top of the main CMS screen.
- You can also right-click the file to select the "edit" option.
- Edit the code and click the "Save" button to save your changes. All changes happen automatically. You just need to refresh the actual web page's screen to see the changes reflected.
Option #3 — Rich Text Editor
We offer a Rich Text Editor as a (nearly) WYSIWYG alternative for you. WYSIWYG stands for "What You See Is What You Get." There are still some kinks to work out with our RTE, but it should work well for those of you who don't want to or can't edit HTML.
Here's how to use the RTE to edit your pages:
- Click the folder icon found beside any editable file. Such files usually end with ".html." The RTE window will open above the file list.
- Edit your page in pretty much the same way you would edit a document using a word processing program like Microsoft Word.
- Click the "Save Settings" button to save your changes. The RTE screen will close. All changes happen automatically. You just need to refresh the actual web page's screen to see the changes reflected.
The RTE is not yet perfected, so it currently has the following limitations:
The best way to view changes to your site is to "Save" the changes, then refresh the actual web page's screen to see the changes reflected.
- Some images will not appear, depending on how they are linked to or where they are stored.
- Table cells will show with dashed borders. Don't worry these outlines won't show on your actual site.
- Only top-level pages can be edited. The list of files currently doesn't allow you to open subfolders. To access those pages, you must use the CMS option.
Need more space for your site?
Premium members receive 1 GB of storage for files. Upgrade to WebRing 2.0 today!
We can tune up your site for you.
Whether fixing mislinks to your own pages, correcting missing images, or deleting snippets of code leftover from your previous web host, we can tune up your Webspace pages. To learn more, click here.