12, January, 2005
Happy New Year!
Those of us at WebRing would like to wish you and yours a very happy and prosperous 2005!
2004 was a great year for us and we hope for you as well.
2004 saw many changes to the WebRing system. Here are the highlights in case you've been hiding somewhere:
- We started the Unique New Member Rewards Program. We're currently passing out about $200 a week in rewards, but we'd like to see that go up, so we're going to add more features to encourage managers to find new members. You can read about rewards in the February 17, 2004 Status report.
- We launched WRMail. The goal has been to make communicating with members easier in a spam-filled and spam-filtering world. We're constantly looking to improve it and we've made changes recently: If a member's WRMail goes unread for a week we'll start CC'ing the mail to both their WRMail box and their registered email address and stop sending the "courtesy" notice. You can read about WRMail in the February 17, 2004 Status report.
- We offered notification to managers when members edit their site information, added a pending submission HOLD status, and of course the ever popular uniqueness rating was introduced in early 2004.
- Enhancements to the "generic" navbar were added so that managers can customize their navbars more without having to modify the code by hand.
- The Proposed Enhancements forum was added to the three existing system forums (found on the main WebRing page). Here we encourage members to submit ideas and we post new features as they are released.
- The Account creation and Join ring process have been merged into a single step. We think this reduces the number of bogus ID creations and ring submissions.
- Management navigation has been improved and streamlined.
You can always read about all changes at the Proposed Enhancements
forum, we won't take up your time with them here.
New for 2005
To start the new year off we have some big new features for members:
- Numerous changes to how a member can configure their navbar "stack". These include (launch date 1/15/2005):
- You can define how many navbars to show when the page is loaded. In the past it was either one or all. Now you can pick how many to show.
- You can request that pending/suspended "mini-bars" be shifted to the bottom of your stack - this way they are grouped at the bottom and don't disturb the look of the other navbars.
- You can add a counter to your page and gather stats for your site whether you add a counter or not. The system will track how many times your page is visited, which rings are bringing vistiors to your site and which rings visitors travel to when leaving your site.
- Search engines and WebRing - We've been working to improve search engine rankings for all WebRing pages. To that end all hub pages include ring title, description and keywords in META tags. It is VERY important that managers review their descriptions and keywords to ensure that they adequately reflect the topic of the ring.
More changes are on the way, so stay tuned for another great year!
The partnership is working out very well, and we continue to work with them to offer members better service than they can get elsewhere. For our part we any member using a free webpage service to consider switching to a "pay" host, even just the minimum is enough to avoid many of the pitfalls of "free" hosts. A great reason to switch is for the surfing experience of your visitors. It is almost painful visiting any Tripod, Lycos, Angelfire, and even Geocities sites because of the numerous and SLOW LOADING popups. Tripod and Lycos can take as much as 90 seconds to spawn a popup. MSN is just plain horrid.
SimpleNet has this offer to make to those willing to consider a switch:
Yes, boys and girls, it's time.
Time for you to finally move on from your free web site service.
Time to get phone and email support, all day and every day.
Time to get faster loading pages and a more reliable hosting platform.
Time to get rid of all that annoying advertising that your site pops up on your visitors.
Time to finally get your site indexed by the search engines...
**Perhaps you didn't know? Most engines won't index free sites**
Time to make the same move that the WebRing site made...
Time to transfer your site to SimpleNet.
Time to let your young site grow up and be an adult!
All accounts include 24/7 Support, a free domain name, FrontPage, site building tools, email, and more! Transfer your site to a fully redundant, reliable, and responsive platform.
Multiple packages to meet your needs, starting at $4.99/month.
To learn more, please visit:
Sign up with SimpleNet today and you will also be given permanent ad suppression on WebRing!
How do I get ad suppression on Webring?
1. Sign up for a SimpleNet Account
2. Once you've paid, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
a. Title, "SimpleNet/WebRing Transfer"
b. Note your WebRing User ID Only (do not send your password)
We hope to see your account on SimpleNet soon!
WebRing is a Community supported system
WebRing is best supported by you, the community. Many that have pitched in have found that the promotional credit they receive can be put to very good use by either featuring the ring in the directory and/or requesting to have their site(s) featured on ring Hub pages. The results are almost always noticeable right away in increased traffic to the ring or site. It's a win-win for us all: Increased visibility for your ring or site and support for WebRing.
If you value WebRing and feel you can benefit from an even better system, then we seek your support. Thanks to the more than 8000+ contributing members WebRing is growing stronger every day! We still offer the best service and support whether you contribute or not.
Interested in supporting WebRing? Use
or use the link below to contribute using PayPal.
|| ||OR, if you prefer you can send a check or money order to:|
1257 Siskiyou Blvd, #1153
Ashland, OR 97520
The WebRing Team
September 21, 2004 Status report.
February 17, 2004 Status report.
January 7, 2004 Status report.
November 30, 2003 Status report.
October 16, 2003 Status report.
September 1, 2003 Status report.
July 15, 2003 Status report.
May 28, 2003 Status report.
April 11, 2003 Status report.
April 4, 2003 Status report.
January 20, 2003 Status report.
December 20, 2002 Status report.
October 15, 2002 Status report.
October 1, 2002 Status report.
September 4, 2002 Status report.
August 16, 2002 Status report.
August 1, 2002 Status report.
July 23, 2002 Status report.
July 16, 2002 Status report.