Home | What's New | Help | Sign In/Join

Webspace Support

Tell a friend about this site Email a friend 
Manager: support
Webspace SupportNeed help with something related to your managing and editing your Webspace? Check out the sites listed on the Sites page or the Permanent Posts below for some of the most commonly asked questions. Don't see an answer to your question? Search the posts, or post a new question. Answers may take a little time, so please have patience. Coming soon...
Sponsor this Ring

Add your site to WebRing
  Hub Member Sites Forum Directory  
Forum Posts - Start a new discussion! Posts 1 - 6 of 6
All Threads |   All Posts   ]

No webspace for you! :) - 05/13/2014
I've tried creating subdirectories under a few different names, and always with the same result: this error message:

"/wr/(name of subdirectory
No write access to this file/folder."

My suspicion that the system had failed to create a webspace for my account seemed to be confirmed when I clicked on the link to where it should have been

http://webspace.webring.com/people/mm/metaverse/

Likewise when I entered that url in my address bar.

found on the bottom of the rig membership management page,

http://m.webring.com/mbr

to the right of the form for the shoutbox, and found that the url redirected to here

http://dir.webring.org/rw

as if the webspace weren't there at all, which I guess it isn't. At your earliest convenience, would you please fix that? Thanks.

Oh - by the way, when I tried to go to the forums through the link marked "help", I couldn't find it. In order to get here, I had to go to "contact us", find the link to the general members forum there, remember the url for webspace support I found there

http://www.webring.com/forum?forum=webspacesupport

and replace "webring" with "webringsupport" in the url I found myself at

http://g.webring.com/forum?forum=webring#.U3JSyyh1K5Q

in order to get here to file this report. I guess I'll now remember to replace the "www" with a g to get to the questions and answers, but when one clicks on the "forum" link on the www version of the Webring Webspace support page

one finds oneself on

ie. the same page one was on before one clicked on the link. The page links to itself, and not to the forum. I'm guessing that you might want to fix that.

Replied - 05/14/2014
I sent a copy of the message above to management using the email reply form, but no response.

Hmmm. The hubpages have been broken for months, support isn't responding to requests for help - I'm looking at a post from September 6 that still has no reply)

http://b.webring.com/forum?forum=webspacesupport;thread=Chinese%2FJapanese+Characters+issue#.U3OrsJUU_xQ

- and as a user, I'm a little worried. This is the sort of thing one usually sees right before a site shuts down. I'm hoping that won't be the case with Webring. Ringsurf as the main player in this part of the industry? That would really be depressing.

I'll check back next week, if I can. Come on, guys, don't die on us.

Replied - 05/14/2014
This is interesting, maybe? I just went to r360.com, and noticed that the system had failed to create an account for id=metaverse. Not a huge issue in and of itself (I was able to create the r360 address that would usually have come with my Webring account without difficulty), but it does suggest that something isn't propagating the way it should. I guess.

Anyhow, this looked strange, so I thought I'd say something.

Replied - 05/15/2014
OK, wondering if I've been a little slow on the uptake ...

We have problem reports that have gone unanswered by the staff since last year, the url for the Help forum has been set so that the questions and answers (or lack thereof) are hard to find, and my email to Support about the unanswered problem reports and broken help forum links has, so far, gone unanswered.

Hoping I'm wrong, but at this point, I'm guessing that I'm either not going to get an answer, or if I do, it will be an unhelpful one. Pity, because when the system does succeed in creating the webspace that supposedly comes with one's account, what one gets is a good, solid product, well worth having. Maybe the single best product Webring has created, one that prospective users (a lot of them) would be very interested in, if only this bug were to be fixed. But I guess it won't be.

I'll check back in a week to see if Support has replied and fixed this problem. If so, great. If not, the warm weather has arrived in Chicago. I have better uses for my spring than to spend it pounding my head into the proverbial brick wall.

Replied - 06/06/2014
Restoring three posts that somebody decided to censor:

1. In case anybody was wondering, the title of the post was a Seinfeld reference

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVqBzP0xdKk

The smiley was there because I WAS kidding.

2. Sort of.

3. Now, I've mentioned this in the chatbox, as well. As I've said, I've reported these problems using their email form, and as you can see on this page, I've used their designated help forum. No response, and despite the impression the dating of the posts might leave one with, the wait has been more like four days - my initial post went up a bit in the wee hours of the morning on the 13th.

No response. None, and it would be a bit much to argue that I haven't made a good faith effort to report the problem, which I understand is by no means an isolated one. In the chatbox, bbsgarage, somebody who has been a good friend to Webring for a long time, said this

"dont have webspace myself but from what ive seen, that is a common complaint."

on 5/15/24 at 20:08:07. So, other people have reported the problem, and Webring has refused to fix it, or even acknowledge it, judging from the stonewalling I've been getting. Which, I guess, a number of people have been getting in this forum.

I guess I really can be slow on the uptake, sometimes. Replacing the www in the url for a link with a letter between a and x isn't difficult. Those links are broken because Support wants them to be broken. I remember a time, not so long ago, when somebody at Webring was simply deleting problem reports from the general members forum, stating that this was not what the forum was for, when, in fact, that was where those of us with 1.0 memberships were told to report our problems.

Much easier to do that than to fix something that is broken, I suppose, but it's still pretty darned dysfunctional. This is where I give up. It is not in my power to make somebody care about his job. If the employees care so little about the company they're working at that they're just going to let things fall apart, there's nothing I can do about that, other than walk off and enjoy a cold, overcast day spring day as much as I can.

Oh, well, at least I can say that I tried. (end of post)

I think that there were a few more posts of mine that I can't restore, either because I neglected to save a copy of this discussion after I added them, or because they were lost to my anti-malware software as a result of a false positive (it wouldn't be the first time). If I recall correctly, one of them mentioned the fact that I had also responded to the "how are you doing" message that webring sends out by telling the company what had gone wrong. In another, I mentioned being offered a premium membership for a month while playing "message in a bottle", and replying to that message as per instructions. So - in how many different ways did I try to get in touch with Webring, to report the problem.

The only response to date? Somebody censored part of the problem report. The only thing I don't know was whether this was done by an employee or one of Webring's volunteers. Either way, we would seem to have returned to the days of Webring dealing with reported problems, not by fixing them, but by making the reports go away, piece by piece, until nothing remains.

Replied - 06/17/2014
One month has now passed since I reported the problem. I have received no response to my queries, and the problem has not been fixed. When I tried to create a subdirectory, just now, I got the same error messages as before.

Meanwhile, other people have reported similar problems in the chatbox, at least one person who already has Webspace reporting that he could not update his site, that he couldn't get any replies, either.

Meanwhile, in the chatbox, we have a regular with a premium membership lying about what I wrote, and abusing the spam zapper in order to delete my rebuttals.

At this point, I think that one would do well to remember that Webring, as it currently exists, is a spinoff of Yahoo, and that Yahoo has a history of neglecting services before shutting them down. That being the case, I would say that if one does have webspace, now is an excellent time to back it up somewhere else, and realign one's ring memberships to send one's traffic elsewhere.

But since Webring is now hiding its own help fora from general view, I wonder who, if anybody, will read this. At least, until I put it onto one of my blogs.

As for making further attempts to get in touch with Webring, these people obviously don't care about their users or their own jobs. Nothing we can do will cause these guys to be conscientious if they don't want to be. Time to let this one go.

All Threads |   All Posts   ]
Popular | The Shops at WebRing | Blogs | Webspace | Discuss
Family & Home | Games & Gaming | Music | Pets | Politics | Religion
Art | Literature | Computers | Entertainment | Fitness | Hobbies & Crafts | Science | Sports & Rec | Travel
Business | Cultural | Education | Food | Regional | Relationships
Contact Us | Copyright © 2001-2016 WebRing®, Inc. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy