Member Sites  ::  JOIN  ::  Forum  ::  Info  ::  Next Ring  
The Teachers Blog - Welcome to the place where you can find the most popular Teaching Blogs. Sharing resources to be implemented in classroo

Forums     Login   Signup

The Teachers Blog

Manager: thelessonguide
Welcome to the place where you can find the most popular Teaching Blogs. Sharing resources to be implemented in classrooms all over the world is our Goal.

Sponsored Links

Forum Posts - Start a new discussion! Posts 1 - 1 of 1
All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Teacher Week - Day 4 Classroom Management - 08/15/2013
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/--vga1vXRsYk/UgxaJOm417I/AAAAAAAADrM/NIhcJAmciRc/s320/Screen_shot_2013-08-14_at_9.32.47_PM.png

Day 4 of Teacher Week !  Today's topic is classroom management, and it just happens to be a topic I've written about quite a bit lately.  Why? Because this past year was the most challenging year I've had in 20 years as far as management goes. If you've been following me for a few months you will have seen some of these pictures before - I'm doing a throwback here of a post I wrote a few months ago, reflecting on how I survived the year. Grade 1 and 2 students are always a bit wiggly and chatty - that is to be expected.  However, even by Halloween I could barely get through a lesson without interruption (or some other drama taking place on the other side of the carpet that took students' focus away from the conversation). To make matters worse, while I normally have 2 or 3 students reading below grade level, this bunch included 14 students reading below grade level! I really felt pressure to get them focused enough to learn to read. I tried all of my usual management systems, incentives, consequences... but none of them seemed to be as effective as in the past. I went home each weekend determined to come up with a brilliant new plan for Monday! Finally I realized that this group of low readers didn't have a problem with their intelligence; they had a problem with self-regulation. How can you learn to read when you can't sit still or focus on a book for more than 3 seconds? Or when every interaction with peers is misinterpreted erupting into conflict? My suppor...

Teacher Week - Day 4 Classroom Management

All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Contact Us | Copyright © 2001-2016 WebRing®, Inc. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy