Member Sites  ::  JOIN  ::  Forum  ::  Info  ::  Next Ring  
The History Ring - This ring celebrates History, historical events, figures and fields. This Ring is designed to be seen by all ages. You m

Forums     Login   Signup

The History Ring

Subrings: World War II History   Egyptian History  
Manager: thehistoryring
This ring celebrates History, historical events, figures and fields. This Ring is designed to be seen by all ages. You must have detailed historical information, or links to sites which do, on your website in order to join the Ring. "Commercial" sites are not encouraged, and must have a considerable amount of detailed information on their site to qualify for membership. The address you list on your application MUST be the page where you will place the Ring's HTML code.

Sponsored Links

Forum Posts - Start a new discussion! Posts 1 - 1 of 1
All Threads |   All Posts   ]

The Guide to Makeup's 'Maude' Look -- with Authentic Victorian Makeup! - 03/28/2013
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-vpAXeyKqaqI/UMe18tI5SCI/AAAAAAAACiU/3p4ldsy6J-s/s320/maudeee.jpg

I decided to try the "Maude" makeup look from the Gibson Girl's Guide to Make-Up using only period correct cosmetics. The above photo is a colorized version of what the ideal being aimed for might look like. It should be noted that the original photo probably achieved its effects from being doctored -- then as now, celebrity photos often underwent touchups before they went out to public view. Darkroom tricks like overexposing some areas, cropping the negatives or even just painting on top of the final photograph were all known tricks of the time. Mimicking this imagined look would probably require a few non-period items: shimmery lipstick, eyeshadow... The Guide said to use black liquid eyeliner, black mascara, peachy rose blush, matte cinnamon and pearlescent champagne eyeshadow, cranberry shimmer lipstick, and translucent luminous powder. I decided to try approximating this with kohl-in-liquid eyeliner, soot-in-vaseline mascara, liquid rouge , lard-and-carmine lipstick and enamel powder . This is one of the more flattering photos... the experiment helped show a lot of the faults of the period products.  Rouge and Powder. I used a liquid rouge from Ageless Artifice that I've blogged about before . The powder was a version of the enamel powder -- the one with the carmine added. I thought it might be near to a shimmery translucent powder. Keeping with period technique, I began with a base of Witch Hazel Cold Cream before applying anything else. The rouge went on smoothly...

The Guide to Makeup's "Maude" Look -- with Authentic Victorian Makeup!

All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Contact Us | Copyright © 2001-2016 WebRing®, Inc. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy