Member Sites  ::  JOIN  ::  Forum  ::  Info  ::  Next Ring  
Genealogy - Your genealogy stop for * family history information, * assistance with genealogy research and resources, * or just the

Forums     Login   Signup

Genealogy

Manager: andrea
GenRing is the largest plus one of the oldest and most visited amateur genealogy WebRings in the system. Any amateur genealogy website is encouraged to participate!

Sponsored Links

Forum Posts - Start a new discussion! Posts 1 - 1 of 1
All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Thankful Thursday - What's In A Name? - 08/29/2013
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-AQV5nIK-cBw/UhzQKKBa4dI/AAAAAAAAOb8/0wEuJ3XKYaU/s400/Nicholas_Woods_-_1840_US_Federal_Census_-_Pg1.jpg

As you will know, if you have been following my blog for the past few days, I have been concentrating on my gr-gr-gr-grandparents, Nicholas DuBois and his wife Magdalain Houin. I was able to locate the family on the 1880 Census. But, other than a few kindly hints, I was unable to tie them to my gr-gr-grandmother, Anna/Annette. I had been told that after her death, her husband married Anna's sister, Adelaide. But, again, I had been unable to find proof. By the 1880 Census, the Dubois' were in their 70's and 80's, and Anna had already died. I feared I would never locate the family together! Then this week, I decided to look at the family abstractly. DuBois was French, this I knew. However, I had never taken French in high school . So with the aid of an online translator , I found that DuBois literally meant " The Wood" . So, let's see if we can locate a Census record with at least most of the family listed on it. And suddenly there it was! Not just a census record, but how about three of them! We now have the 1840-1860 census records with all of the children, sans one , listed on them! 1840 Census   1850 Census   1860 Census   On the 1840, 1850 and 1860 Census my ancestor's were listed as the Woods family! But by the time the 1880 rolled around, they w...

Thankful Thursday - What's In A Name?

All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Contact Us | Copyright © 2001-2016 WebRing®, Inc. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy