Member Sites  ::  JOIN  ::  Forum  ::  Info  ::  Next Ring  
Genealogy - Your genealogy stop for * family history information, * assistance with genealogy research and resources, * or just the

Forums     Login   Signup

Genealogy

Manager: andrea
GenRing is the largest plus one of the oldest and most visited amateur genealogy WebRings in the system. Any amateur genealogy website is encouraged to participate!

Sponsored Links

Forum Posts - Start a new discussion! Posts 1 - 1 of 1
All Threads |   All Posts   ]

T is for Transcripts, Extracts and Abstracts - 06/11/2013
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-QMSjl_hv1VQ/UYa58TuWZxI/AAAAAAAAAR8/dWsojFI1z-o/s200/Durie_Documents.jpg

Like many genealogists I have found myself from time to time transcribing handwritten documents which are difficult to read and often are either in another language or contain unusual abbreviations of words. I have up until now used my own methods to record when I have edited the transcription to provide clarity. For example, in my research of my wife's Huguenot ancestors in London the French Church records often have the abbreviation tem. short for temoin in french or witness in english. I have recorded these in my transcriptions as temoin with no indication of the abbreviation. I now understand this to be poor transcription practice. At this year's Who Do You Think You Are Live in February I found an amazing book called  Understanding Documents for Genealogy and Local History by Bruce Durie . The very first section of the first part of the book deals in detail with the process of transcription and how you record what you find so others can fully understand the transcription. The aim of a transcription is to "record exactly what the text in the manuscript says, with all its faults and imperfections retained". The most faithful transcription of a document is what is known as a "full diplomatic transcription" where every feature of the script has been captured including unusual spellings and capitalisations. The next further stage in the process of transcription is the "semi-diplomatic transcription" where the "transcriber makes changes in the interest...

T is for Transcripts, Extracts and Abstracts

All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Contact Us | Copyright © 2001-2016 WebRing®, Inc. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy