Member Sites  ::  JOIN  ::  Forum  ::  Info  ::  Next Ring  
Urban Exploration - Sites focusing on the art of urban exploration: touring storm drains, abandoned buildings, rooftops, transit tunnels, co

Forums     Login   Signup

Urban Exploration

Subrings: Urban Exploration - Houses   Urban Exploration Photography   Urban Exploration - Hospitals   Urban Exploration - Paris France   Urban Exploration - Belgium  
Manager: trekker1
This forum serves the urban exploration ring, which contains sites focussing on the art of urban exploration: touring storm drains, abandoned buildings, rooftops, transit tunnels, college steam tunnels and other off-limits locations.

Sponsored Links

Forum Posts - Start a new discussion! Posts 1 - 1 of 1
All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Urban Exploration: Santral Elektrik, Turkey - 09/08/2013
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7345/9659706920_c79a969fbc_b.jpg

The Silahtarağa Power Station was once the main generator station for the Ottoman Empire; first powered up in 1914, it brought power to the city's trams and lit the Sultan's chambers at Topkapı Palace. Now reimagined as a museum, this beautifully preserved power station offers a valuable glimpse into the workings of an archaic coal-driven behemoth. The Silahtarağa Power Station now forms a part of the cultural complex known as Santralİstanbul . Opened in 2007 - in a ceremony presided over by Prime Minister Erdoğan - Santral İstanbul stands on the campus of Istanbul Bilgi University: a site in the city's Eyüp district that features an art museum, a library, a café and concert halls. The generators remain in position, unmoved since the days of the Ottoman Empire. Paying the entrance fee and following the guide rail inside the tall, solemn building, I didn't feel much like an explorer. It seemed too orderly, packaged and labelled ready for tourist consumption. This sensation soon left me though, as I entered the power station proper and passed between the veins of a vast, interconnected and long-forgotten machine. The escalator that led to the first floor turbines blinked into life as I approached it; a whirring glass and steel mechanism lit from within, that seemed strangely in keeping with its surroundings despite its new build. It was fitted as a replacement for the coal conveyors which once occupied this spot. On the raised gantry above, I found myself hemmed in by ...

Urban Exploration: Santral Elektrik, Turkey

All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Contact Us | Copyright © 2001-2016 WebRing®, Inc. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy