Member Sites  ::  JOIN  ::  Forum  ::  Info  ::  Next Ring  
Urban Exploration - Sites focusing on the art of urban exploration: touring storm drains, abandoned buildings, rooftops, transit tunnels, co

Forums     Login   Signup

Urban Exploration

Subrings: Urban Exploration - Houses   Urban Exploration Photography   Urban Exploration - Hospitals   Urban Exploration - Paris France   Urban Exploration - Belgium  
Manager: trekker1
This forum serves the urban exploration ring, which contains sites focussing on the art of urban exploration: touring storm drains, abandoned buildings, rooftops, transit tunnels, college steam tunnels and other off-limits locations.

Sponsored Links

Forum Posts - Start a new discussion! Posts 1 - 1 of 1
All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Dark Tourism: Auschwitz, Poland - 07/11/2013
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5541/9248826480_e77072d274_b.jpg

The Auschwitz Concentration Camp is, arguably, the twentieth century's most pervasive symbol of human suffering, and of the depths of human cruelty. The largest prison complex ever built by the Nazis, the facilities at Auschwitz included prison camps, labour camps, and later, the construction of a purpose-built extermination camp designed for 'processing' vast numbers of victims with machine-like efficiency. In the last years of WWII, the sleepy Polish town of Oświęcim saw the cruel massacre of as many as three million innocent men, women and children in the gas chambers: almost 50% of the Holocaust's total death toll. Nowadays the well-preserved concentration camp at Oświęcim attracts more than a million curious visitors each year. Two weeks ago I finally made the trip for myself, and joined the crowds of tourists flooding through the gates of Auschwitz. Here's my report. The Train to Oświęcim I really didn't know what to expect from my visit to Auschwitz. On the one hand, I was excited to be visiting a site which had played such a pivotal role in the course of twentieth century history; however, the very real horror of the death camps became more palpable the closer we got. A part of me was scared that my excitement would give itself away, that I would get lost in taking photos and somehow fail to show the due respect. The sheer magnitude of the massacre was simply too hard to comprehend. We took a shuttle bus from the airport into Katowice, one of the larger and mor...

Dark Tourism: Auschwitz, Poland

All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Contact Us | Copyright © 2001-2016 WebRing®, Inc. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy