Member Sites  ::  JOIN  ::  Forum  ::  Info  ::  Next Ring  
Urban Exploration - Sites focusing on the art of urban exploration: touring storm drains, abandoned buildings, rooftops, transit tunnels, co

Forums     Login   Signup

Urban Exploration

Subrings: Urban Exploration - Houses   Urban Exploration Photography   Urban Exploration - Hospitals   Urban Exploration - Paris France   Urban Exploration - Belgium  
Manager: trekker1
This forum serves the urban exploration ring, which contains sites focussing on the art of urban exploration: touring storm drains, abandoned buildings, rooftops, transit tunnels, college steam tunnels and other off-limits locations.

Sponsored Links

Forum Posts - Start a new discussion! Posts 1 - 1 of 1
All Threads |   All Posts   ]

In preparation for my trip to Bucharest, I spent a bit of time surfing the web - 01/12/2013
http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/q554/DarmonRichter/Urbex/The_Bucharest_Fortress/Bohemian-Urbex-Urban-Exploration-Fortress-Stronghold-No10-Bucharest-Romania-24.jpg

In preparation for my trip to Bucharest, I spent a bit of time surfing the web - trying to get a feel for the city's atmosphere, architecture and abandonments. I came across Locuri Uitate . The site is run by Peppy, whose extensive experience of urban exploration in Romania has allowed him to sample and report on an impressive cross section of the city's secret places. I got in touch, and Peppy was delighted to meet up and give me a tour of his city; starting with one of his own favourites sites, the abandoned subterranean stronghold known as the Leordeni Fortress. The Fortifications of Bucharest The Leordeni Fort No. 10 (or 'Leurdeni 10 Fort') was a part of the much larger 18th century Fortifications of Bucharest . In the late nineteenth century, Romania's King Carol began drafting plans for the defence of Bucharest.* Neighbouring Bulgaria had only just declared its independence from Ottoman rule in 1978, with the help of Russian and Romanian troops marching south after Romania's own War of Independence . Meanwhile, to the northwest the Austro-Hungarian Empire continued to cast an imposing shadow across Romanian soil. The Fortifications of Bucharest were designed by a celebrated Belgian military architect named Henri Alexis Brialmont ; construction began in 1884 on a ring of 18 forts, spaced roughly 4km apart. At a distance of around 12km from the residential areas of the city, this defensive wall sufficed to keep contemporary field artillery out of firing range. The 18 for...

Urban Exploration | Leordeni Fort № 10, Romania

All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Contact Us | Copyright © 2001-2016 WebRing®, Inc. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy