Member Sites  ::  JOIN  ::  Forum  ::  Info  ::  Next Ring  
Art - The Art webring contains sites that display works of art, such as paintings, graphics, designs, ceramics and sculptures.

Forums     Login   Signup

Art

Manager: webmaster
The Art webring contains sites that display works of art, such as paintings, graphics, designs, ceramics and sculptures.

Sponsored Links

Forum Posts - Start a new discussion! Posts 1 - 1 of 1
All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Strange Fruit: Stand Your Ground - 08/23/2013
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-UoNRSbWEqnc/UhbzmcsSKeI/AAAAAAAAGeg/qQGomhP4TbE/s640/Strange_Fruit_-_Stand_Your_Ground_(c)_2013_Kit_Lang.jpg

(picture is clickable for detail) This piece is my response to the Trayvon Martin trial.  Because of course, it was Trayvon who was on trial, not George Zimmerman. I can't actually say much about the results of the verdict - even now, as I type this - my eyes are filling with tears. It hurts too much, it feels too big, I cannot yet articulate my fear for my sons, who are young Black men, or my hurt at the response to the verdict.  But if you are familiar with the song " Strange Fruit ", a strangely beautiful song about lynching in the American South; you will understand why I associate the Stand Your Ground laws in Florida and elsewhere, with the song - as those laws have borne much strange fruit.  Southern trees bear a strange fruit, Blood on the leaves and blood at the root, Black bodies swinging in the southern breeze, Strange fruit hanging from the poplar trees. Pastoral scene of the gallant south, The bulging eyes and the twisted mouth, Scent of magnolias, sweet and fresh, Then the sudden smell of burning flesh. Here is fruit for the crows to pluck, For the rain to gather, for the wind to suck, For the sun to rot, for the trees to drop, Here is a strange and bitter crop. I do not have words right now, I only have stitch, and fabric, and a broken, bleeding heart.  So I will leave you with the words of  Richard Wright. "I would hurl words into this darkness and wait for an echo. And if an echo sounded, no matter how faintly,  I...

Strange Fruit: Stand Your Ground

All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Contact Us | Copyright © 2001-2016 WebRing®, Inc. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy