Member Sites  ::  JOIN  ::  Forum  ::  Info  ::  Next Ring  
Art - The Art webring contains sites that display works of art, such as paintings, graphics, designs, ceramics and sculptures.

Forums     Login   Signup

Art

Manager: webmaster
The Art webring contains sites that display works of art, such as paintings, graphics, designs, ceramics and sculptures.

Sponsored Links

Forum Posts - Start a new discussion! Posts 1 - 1 of 1
All Threads |   All Posts   ]

What Lies Beneath - 07/29/2013
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-y2jpi0DliSY/UfX-kP76RcI/AAAAAAAAGU4/eA86ChQmAYg/s640/what_lies_beneath_%28c%29_2013_Kit_Lang.jpg

I began this piece at the beginning of July, when my heart and emotions were a swirling maelstrom – brought on by the onslaught of damaging, derogatory messages to women that kept coming and coming and coming. Legislation against womens' bodies across the U.S. on a state by state basis that told us over and over again that women cannot make decisions about their own bodies, that men: whether it be their employers, pharmacists or local / state / federal politician was wiser and more knowledgeable than they were about themselves, that decision with respect to the autonomy of their own bodies would be decided for them, because they were (apparently) not capable of doing so.   At the same, time, I was bombarded – no more than usual, with messages from the media about what shape my body should have, how much I should weigh...    what my skin and hair ought to look like, and subliminally; the continual message that we, as women are not good enough – and should be in a constant state of striving to be physically better in order to meet with the approval of men / society / our peers. All messages that are the same really, continuing the campaign to control our bodies, and hopefully, our minds. And so I conceived this piece – out of anger, frustration, fear, sadness, confusion, so many emotions I couldn't even name… a way to express that underneath this "complacent" surface that adheres to a proscribed way of being (feminine clothes, heels, make up, pretty ha...

What Lies Beneath

All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Contact Us | Copyright © 2001-2016 WebRing®, Inc. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy