Member Sites  ::  JOIN  ::  Forum  ::  Info  ::  Next Ring  
Art - The Art webring contains sites that display works of art, such as paintings, graphics, designs, ceramics and sculptures.

Forums     Login   Signup

Art

Manager: webmaster
The Art webring contains sites that display works of art, such as paintings, graphics, designs, ceramics and sculptures.

Sponsored Links

Forum Posts - Start a new discussion! Posts 1 - 1 of 1
All Threads |   All Posts   ]

What is art? - 07/25/2013
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b45/MsKit/signature-2-1.jpg

Yesterday, I added a post-script to my original post, answering a question I am often asked "What is 'art' to you ?" because I am often blathering in my posts along the lines of "this is art" and "this isn't art, it's just  'pretty'." In talking with  Deidre Adams on Facebook yesterday (one of my very favourite artists, actually, so you really ought to check out her work) I realized that my original definition of "art" as it applies to me , was actually fairly unclear, and also, might have inadvertently been insulting to some of you. And if you found it so, I apologize! So, to be perfectly clear, when I am talking about "what art is" - I'm not addressing that in a large-scale, KIT'S DEFINITION OF ART APPLIES TO EVERYONE" way.  I'm always, only talking about it in the context of my own work .  So: When I make "art" I am trying to convey something or evoke a response. If I have no intention in the creation of the piece, then I feel emotionally separated from it, and I find no pleasure or "art" in it. I may be making something "pretty", but to me , it is bereft of meaning. To find happiness in my own work, I need to find meaning, which sometimes is there when I begin the work, sometimes develops in the acts of creation, and sometimes travels with me the whole way through, only to slip away as I near the end. "Meaning" is often transient in my work, but will sometimes reappear through some odd alchemy that I can't control. All I know i...

What is art?

All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Contact Us | Copyright © 2001-2016 WebRing®, Inc. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy